Saturday, December 5, 2009

Danish Christmas

So, this last Wednesday was the Rotary Christmas party. Ate dinner ( duck is the traditional holiday meat I think) sang some Danish songs. We sang a song to the tune of 'Silent Night', except that the lyrics were much different and the beat was upbeat and happy. I felt like they had violated one of the most sacred songs we know lol.
Then the little kids started making a ring, and dancing around the christmas tree in the middle of the room. I had fully intended on sitting that one out, until my counselor dragged me ( almost literally) into the circle. I was also forced to sit on Santas lap for a bag of candy. Seems like the fricken paparazzi showed up when I did, at least three people took my picture. So much for forgetting that incident =P. For dessert we had these little pancake ball thingys, that you can dip in marmalade and sugar. Pretty tasty. Then we drove home, blasting Snow Patrol in the car and singing at the top of our lungs.

I suppose I'll take the time to jot down a few Jule ( Christmas) traditions. Dancing and singing around the Juletræ is one of them ( as I found out at the christmas party). Another one, is to take a bowl of rice pudding, and bury an almond somewhere in it. And as the family eats the pudding, whoever finds the almond in their bowl get a present. Of course, it has to be by chance, you cant go digging through the bowl trying to find it, haha.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but the Danes are HUGE on candles. They pull them out at the slightest occasions. But they're even more common around Christmas time. They have one large candle with measure marks on it ( like a ruler) and they burn a little bit of it each day of December. They also have 4 candles on the dinner table, and they light one each sunday of the month.
Speaking of Sundays of the month, they also have an 'advent calendar', where every sunday in december the kids get a present from their family. And since my host family is awesome, I was included in this. They bought Anna and I tickets to go see 2012. That may not seem like much to you Americans, but going to the movies is a pretty big deal here. It's extremely expensive. 90 kr per ticket, which is almost twenty american dollars.

Tomorrow we're going to spend the day down in Germany, see the towns, maybe get a little shopping done. I'm excited, I haven't been to Germany ( Tyskland) as of yet.

Vi ses!

No comments:

Post a Comment